Sunday, August 24, 2014

austin happy hour tour: ABGB

After München, nothing else really counts as a biergarten. But I'm not going to lie: I was extremely disappointed with my ventures in German beer. They were much lighter and less tasteful than I had imagined, though I guess that makes them good as a breakfast beverage. There was no way I could explain that to the Bavarians, though the French were much more receptive to the consideration. One point both groups were surprised to hear though was that in Texas, we are good at more than just BBQ. Craft drafts are a Texan staple, and we even have local(ish) cheap(ish) options such as Shiner and Pearl. With its abundance of established vineyards and wineries, Europe hasn't seen the full extent of the wonders that are microbreweries. 


Upon my return from the continent, on a habitual commute, I noticed a sign had popped up outside an old warehouse I've so often overlooked. Only when I looked closer did I see that ABGB stood for Austin Beer Garden and Brewing Co. And of course, they have a happy hour. And a stage with a band. Austinite heaven.


Deal assessment? A solid meh. Best for a snack and a drink combo, but if you're looking to branch out a little, your wallet will need the same openness of mind.

Aspali dry cider

What ABGB's happy hour lacks in deals, it makes up for in an abundance of quality options. Though not made in house like all of the beers at ABGB, this Aspali cider was champagne like in it's dry, crispness, serving my ever present need for bubbles.


speck heirloom caprese

The best surprise of the bunch, this salad. Cured ham comes with tomatoes and mozzarella in almost every other Italian dish, so of course it would be magnificent in caprese. But it's the walnuts, pesto, and sprouts that give it that Austin je ne sais quoi. Best of in my book.


See? Just like a German beer hall.

Best part? In addition to their large, outdoor seating area, ABGB's dog friendliness takes it further, with $1 of every pint of their Austin Pets Alive! Series Single-hopped American Pale Ale benefiting APA's long stay dogs. ABGB for APA FTW!

Austin Beer Garden and Brewing: Happy Hour -- Tuesday-Friday 3-7 
1305 W Oltorf St, Austin, TX 78704
$1 off pints, $2 off pitchers, $6 slice+pint, $27 pie+pitcher, $7 brat+beer

No comments:

Post a Comment