Tuesday, March 18, 2014

du vin



For as much of the stuff as I consume, I should really know more about wine...but isn't that label just beautiful?

I must confess.  Est-ce que je peux avoir confiance en vous? I'm a fake.  To me, almost all wine is the same.  I cannot pick out the lingering smoke, the burst of pencil shavings or dirt (yes, all actually used to describe a wine, no, I do not know what dirt tastes like, thanks).

I guess I classify wines like tax brackets.  <$10: wanna get drunk with friends who don't appreciate wine.  $10-$15: very hidden gems, but I like the chase (and the price). $15-$25: oh you fancy, huh.  $25-$50: showing off.  $50-$100: ouais, je comprends maintenant... $100-$175: ich kann das nicht glauben. +$175: yep, all the same again.

In all honesty, I pick the label, not the wine.  Sure I know my preferred région, but what would really make my 1 pasta, canned tomato sauce, out of season salad, and half a delicious bannette look even better? Tonight, it was the vintage 2010 Château VERNOU.  A splurge at 8.95 .


A whole more than the sum of its parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment