Tuesday, August 12, 2014

BF approved breakfast tacos

Today, like many days, I woke up wanting to cook. I've been loving Oeufs en Cocotte ever since I got my little cocottes, but something more substantial, with a little more color, was needed today. Because we are in Austin, breakfast tacos are always on the menu. But we're all out of bacon! Commence improvisation.  Sliced turkey and havarti were purchased yesterday for camp girl's lunch, but she decided she wanted P. Terry's despite the wealth of lunch ready products.  So voilà. BF approved egg white turkey havarti breakfast tacos à la maison.

 I love my kitchen, but it's a terrible backdrop for photos. Working on a fix.

BF approved breakfast tacos
It's hatch season in Austin, so pretty much hatch everything.
-hatch chile tortillas
-egg whites
-herb roasted turkey
-roth havarti
-improv salsa (see below)
-whole foods' hatchamole

improv salsa
It's exactly what it sounds like! I had some jalepenos from the farmer's market, so I decided to make some salsa, originally for a mango salsa with some fish a couple nights ago, but hey, salsa is salsa, and it goes great on breakfast tacos. Grab stuff from the fridge that might be good in salsa. Tomatoes? Awesome. Squash? Sure! Apple? Why not. What I found is listed below. Combine all ingredients in a food processor (did I mention how much I love my Breville??) and pulse.
-seeded jalepeno, however many you want man, spicier the better
-seeded red pepper, cut into 1" cubes
-zucchini, cut into 1" slices
-red onion
-salt, pepper to taste
mix in juice of one lime, et voilà, improv salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment