Sunday, August 10, 2014

home

Don't get me wrong: the heat is killing me. I miss the temperate Côte d'Azur like I missed my kitchen. And I really, really missed my kitchen. 

 Ratatouille Tart


 Ratatouille Tart with Truffle oil


Texas Red Snapper 


Pilaf Stuffed Flounder


I'm terrible at following recipes.  With most of this stuff I was just winging it. I fell in love with truffle in France, so I've been putting it on everything. But some in the family hate it, so it is optional. Here's my Ratatouille Tart.

Ratatouille Tart with Herb and Garlic Crust

Herb and Garlic Crust:
- Grab herbs. I recently decided having an herb garden was an imperative. I'm starting with mint, basil, and thyme, which are all doing very well despite the weather. Just remember to water.  A lot. Right.  Grab herbs. I just used some of the thyme and basil, but other recipes add rosemary or tarragon as well.
-Grab 1 clove garlic.
-Pulse garlic and herbs in food processor until, well, until tiny and edible-sized.
-Add herbs to your standard tart crust recipe (might I suggest this one, but needs more salt) in the flour phase. (If you have a food processor, use it. I just got a Breville food processor.  Life.  Changing.)
-There's this whole thing with tart crusts and blind baking, and I hate it, so I didn't do it, and the bottom of my tart was a little flimsy.  So if you don't mind blind baking and know how to do it, have at it before adding the filling yummy stuff.

Tart filling:
-I have been in love with Smitten Kitchen's Ratatouille's Ratatouille for a while now.  This is a twist on that.
-Slice some zuchinni, yellow squash, and eggplant with a mandoline (or a knife, you poor soul). 
-Pulse red pepper, red onion, garlic, salt, pepper (heck, throw in some more thyme if that's your thing, it sure is mine) in a food processor until super tiny. You can maybe even make it a paste? I'll try that next time.
-Spread red pepper mixture in bottom of tart pan. Arrange sliced veggies on top. Drizzle olive oil on top. (If truffle is your thing, drizzle truffle oil instead). Sprinkle salt and thyme to taste, I add black pepper, but not a necessity.
-Cut parchment paper to fit over top.
-Cook at 375˚ for 40-45 min. (I didn't do this, hence the 'just winging it', but it seems like a good idea, just watch to make sure it doesn't burn).
-Serve with chèvre and white wine. I'm a big fan of the Masi Masianco or anything from La Crema.

No comments:

Post a Comment